My 25 year old Quaker parrot, Chip died in his small roost cage, but I was wondering how to clean/disinfect his new large cage before I bring another Quaker parrot home to live in it. Should I use bleach/water spray, spray it down and wipe with water? Or is there a better disinfectant to use? Chip didn't appear sick but I don't want to use the cage for another parrot before its properly cleaned.
It's usually advised not to mix bleach directly with any brand of dishwashing liquid. Sometimes you'll find that advisory in tiny print somewhere on the bottle of detergent. You might wash the cage down with a mild bleach solution and rinse very thoroughly and leave the cage in the sun for a few hours to dry. Follow that up by washing a second time with a solution of the Dawn dishwashing liquid, rinsing throroughly and wiping dry. Likewise, toys and perches can be washed with a mild bleach solution, thoroughly rinsed and sun dried, then washed with Dawn, rinsed thoroughly and air dried.